Monday, March 30, 2009

Mrkens Thoughts on Automatic Direct Messages to new Twitter Followers..

Hey friends, thought I would add my thoughts on our new poll. Just my thoughts, that and a dollar fifty will get you a cup of coffee!

It seems that there are a ton of Twitter experts today as my good friend Traci Knoppe was saying on our latest Business Builders Workshop call in show. Everywhere you look there is a new "expert" that will teach us the "rules" of Twitter. I make no such claims although I have a little experience...

Ken Kinstle
9,928
Following
9,612
Followers
15,430
Updates

I started the poll to your right and hope you will take the poll, leave me a comment with your full thoughts also. I am interested what people really think on this..
I see a lot of tweeps saying how much they dislike the automatic direct messages..and by my observations on new followers less people are using them...
So here are my thoughts..
I use them number one and have not stopped because some "experts" say that automatic direct messages are wrong. For myself and the amount of people that follow me, the times I am not posting on Twitter, ect I use them! I like to give people a greeting using Tweetlater, some people might have just gasped at the air!
Yes I use Tweetlater! For when I am doing things and want to post on Twitter. I have been reluctant to share this but have upgraded to professional and used this since I started on Twitter!
Back to the subject, Automatic Direct messages on Twitter, I also try to greet people personally after I am on and see them following me.
For me it is important to greet someone right after they follow me and connect with them when I can. So of course in my humble opinion this use is good!
Now! You notice in my poll the entry, DM's are ok but leave out your money link!
This is an incorrect use in my opinion and usually I do not respond to those auto direct messages because it is just flat rude! To say hey you followed me here buy my stuff, is rude and it does irk me when I get them. I see some who add a link and is tastefull, but most seem like BOOM heres MY stuff.

I think it boils down to the golden rule my friends.. just treat others as you would want to be treated! I think with that in mind and some common sense, you can determine what works for you on Twitter and all social networking sites.
I will keep reading what the "experts" are saying, taking the valuable stuff and just shine the rest on! It is not likely you will hear me tweeting complaining about those tweeps who do this or that friends. Twitter is opt in! If it really bothers me I will hit the unfollow button! That is the beauty of social networking, if someone or thier behavior bothers us that bad, just quit following them!

It is supposed to be fun! Treat others well, greet and engage them heartily by what ever method you choose and by all means have fun!

6 comments:

  1. Well, back in the day, I did an auto DM; I believe it's still active. I don't know where to turn it off, so, since it reads only "Welcome," I just let it go and consider it like a "Welcome" mat at my front door. That is, until I can remember where to turn it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used auto DM since I first joined Twitter. I think it can be used for both good and evil (is that over dramatic?). Personally, I DO include a link to one of my sites. However its done in a very relaxed and 'matter of fact' way in an attempt not to cause offense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are spot on - right where I am: use the DMs to welcome your new followers but leave out ANY sales pitch, period. That would be like going to an in-person networking event and you start selling immediately! Gag; make me puke and I'm going home.

    I actually include a link to my bubbletweet which USUALLY strikes up a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound drums and trumpets! farewell sour annoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this. Personally, I enjoy getting welcome messages - but not if someone immediately tries to sell me something.

    That makes me feel used, and I don't like it - and it doesn't take me long to unfollow the offender.

    I think a freebie link's OK, though, and if that includes a sales offer, fine - that makes it my choice whether I download it and follow the link or not.

    Another good way to get unfollowed is to tweet over and over again, with nothing but sales messages.

    A couple of days ago I found my whole screen filled with sales offers, all from the same person, and all sent within a few minutes of each other.

    The sender isn't going to get that chance again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My response is actually different from any of the options in the poll: I don't like any auto-DMs, but I don't unfollow because of them. I do, however, use a service that keeps me from getting them.

    When I first started on Twitter, I tried to send a personal welcome to each new follower, but it didn't take long for that to become impossible. I now connect with as many new followers as possible, then make an effort to connect in the stream. While I understand the logic in using them and realize you mean well, I don't consider it gracious for a "welcome" to be automatically generated with no action on the user's part. To me, it seems to be one of those concepts so obvious it defies explanation. It not only is not welcoming, it clogs the DM stream so it's easy to overlook the authentic messages there.

    I also think it is the wrong place for links to appear. Every Twitter user has a profile page for that, so it's very easy to find someone's site if we want to.

    I would ask auto-DM users to please reconsider and think about its recipient rather than what's easy for you. I know the argument: just delete it if it bothers you. Do you feel that way about spam in your email in-box? When there are dozens or more auto-DMs each day, that impacts the recipient's use of Twitter, whether for business or pleasure. It isn't the same as a welcome mat that you simply step on and for which you don't slow down. Use your Twitter profile page as your welcome mat. That's a reasonable comparison.

    By the way, I'm not an ungracious or impatient person; bless your heart, I'm an Alabama woman in the public relations business, and I'm pretty sure I'm considered a gracious Twitter user. If you won't consider this perspective from a fellow Twitter user, please consider it my professional advice.

    ReplyDelete